Saturday, February 8, 2014

Open House is really tiring

Hi there; Birdie here!

So today was LSU's open house. Other than misunderstanding where the specimens were vs. where our table was, the pathology club section ran really smoothly. We had heartworms (of course), a couple of lungs, a cancerous liver, and a kidney with an infarction plus a few things in jars. One of the jars had bezoars, as in the "rock found in a goat's stomach that can cure any poison" in Harry Potter! I really enjoyed working at the table; I quite like explaining things I understand, and I had my little spiel and would ask the kids if they knew what the heart/heartworms were. Well, I enjoyed it for three hours--the fourth hour was a little much. At noon I was off, but my family hadn't made it to BR yet (we were planning to have lunch and then walk the tour together), so I wandered around a bit on my own. They had rescue groups for my 3 favorite dog breeds (Italian greyhounds, whippets, and greyhounds) down one hallway! I didn't get to see any of the large animal stuff or the canine water treadmill, but what I saw was pretty cool. Our decorations in the anatomy lab (which we put up during yesterday's class time--more fun than dissection, but I really don't appreciate the missed time that still counts especially when we're already behind for snow days) looked great. After (a rather disappointing) lunch, I had to get back for my next shift: this time in the respiratory system. We had fresh horse lungs that were inflated by a respirator, fresh goat lungs, preserved human lungs, dried horse and cow and cat lungs...there were a lot of lungs. That was fun too, at least when people came to the back where I was. I talked to one potential vet student who wanted to work with exotics about lab animal medicine. After two hours of that, it was time to clean up (and eat a bit of the king cake Dr. Ven brought us--pecan cream cheese, yum!). It was really tiring, being on my feet all day and dealing with so many people. I think I heard over 8,000 people came to open house today!

The OOS (out of state, on the off chance anyone who follows me isn't from SDN and aware of the lingo) interviews were also today. One guy who was interviewing came by the path table when I was working and correctly identified all the organs (and probably the heartworms; lots of people knew the heartworms since there were like 3 examples throughout the school) and then was like "yay, I feel smart!" Apparently he's from New Jersey, and he talked to the other students at the table since they were both OOS. I hope he gets in. From the little I met him, I rather like him.

We have our immunology final on Tuesday, and a neuroscience exam Friday. The last immunology exam wasn't bad at all--I rocked it, actually. I really should get to studying for these two...don't want to, though, especially after open house. I did actually get to read The Fault in our Stars, and finished it in 2 days. That doesn't really impact my motivation to study, though. I feel like we just had our last neuro test (we basically did. It was this past week).

This week I also had my Banfield interview. It was on Tuesday, for the summer program I'm applying for. I've decided I like phone interviews better than in-person ones--I can be as fidgety as I like and they can't judge me for it (or be "distracted" or whatever). One of my classmates who also interviewed told me some of the behavioral questions they asked, but I still didn't have appropriate answers for 2 of the 3. One was because of the wording of the question, and one was just difficult to come up with. I think I displayed a lot of enthusiasm, though, so maybe they'll like me. Or maybe I'll get the Tulane program and it won't matter, that would be nice, too.

One other thing: WAZEM, the exotics club had a lunch meeting that was open to everyone on Friday. They had a dentist come in who it sounded like was the father of veterinary dentistry, basically. He used to be a human dentist, and he presented hundreds of slides on interesting cases from elephants to tigers to polar bears. He gave one jaguar a gold crown! So just to reinforce: clubs are pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment